Back pain is the most debilitating condition worldwide today. It accounts for more lost days of work and health care expenditures than anything else. It can affect your ability to work, enjoy time with your family, exercise, and live your life. In the city of Chicago, when there is so much to see, do, and enjoy our goal at Gold Coast Chiropractic is to treat patients’ back pain naturally and effectively so that our patients can get back to enjoying city life.
Nearly 31 million Americans seek chiropractic care each year — why? Because chiropractic has consistently been shown to improve results, lead to higher patient satisfaction, and even lower costs compared to traditional care. With a thorough knowledge of the structure and functions of the human body, we make diagnoses and prescribe conservative treatment plans to treat back pain. Through spinal adjustments and other natural tools, chiropractic is a safe, natural, and effective treatment option that will treat back pain at its source, rather than making the symptoms with prescription medication. In fact, research shows that chiropractic care can cut health care costs and have patients feeling better, faster!
Back Pain Facts and Statistics
Although Dr. Fisher treats far more than back pain, many patients initially visit Gold Coast Chiropractic looking for relief from this common condition. Here are a few interesting facts about back pain:
- 31 million Americans experience low-back pain at any given moment
- Low back pain is the single leading cause of disability worldwide according to the Global Burden of Disease 2010
- Back pain is one of the most common reasons for missed work
- Back pain is the second most common reason for doctor’s office visits (upper-respiratory infections are first)
- One-half of all working Americans admit to experiencing back pain symptoms each year
- Experts indication that nearly 80% of the population will experience a back problem at some point in their lives
- Americans spend at least $50 billion each year on back pain
What are the Symptoms of Back Pain?
Back pain is not limited to any specific age group, however, some things that may increase your risk of back pain are:
- Getting older
- Poor physical fitness
- Being overweight
- Your job (sedentary jobs, tough manual labor)
This is why Dr. Fisher seeks to treat the whole patient, not just current symptoms. Through a patient history evaluation, you’ll receive an individualized plan tailored to your lifestyle, needs, and conditions that will help you live your best life.
When it comes to back pain, a wide variety of symptoms can occur.
The most common symptoms of back pain are:
- Aching – temporary or chronic.
- Sharp pain in specific areas.
- Shooting pain in specific areas.
- Muscle spasms.
- Pain that radiates out from a source point into the extremities.
- Difficulty standing straight without pain.
- Numbness or tingling in extremities.
- Pain in the hip region.
- Pain that increases with movement (such as bending, standing, twisting).
- Pain in the abdomen and pelvic area.
It is important to note that there are a number of different types of back pain, each of which may have its own suite of symptoms including (but not limited to) those listed above.
How does Chiropractic Help With Back Pain?
The first step is determining the best treatment for your back pain is determining the cause of your back pain. To begin with, Dr. Paul Fisher will take a thorough patient history. He needs to understand what could be causing your back pain and your goals. After this history, Dr. Fisher will proceed to the examination.
At Gold Coast Chiropractic, we will use some or all of the following in determining the cause and appropriate treatment of your low back pain:
- Initial physical exam.
- X-rays and imaging of the spine, neck and head.
- Posture tests.
- Reflex tests.
- Range of Motion Evaluation
- Neurological and Orthopedic Evaluation
In chiropractic care, the specific treatments used are highly tailored to the individual patient’s symptoms and needs. However, chiropractic adjustments are a central tenet to treatment. Our primary goal at Gold Coast Chiropractic is to get our patients back to living Chicago life to the fullest, while feeling their absolute best.
Based on the results of the examination treatment may consist of the following:
- At home exercises
- Guidance on use of at-home helps such as foam rollers and stretches.
- Chiropractic Adjustments
- Hot and cold therapy.
- Guidance on relaxation methods.
- Guidance on exercise and nutrition helps.
- Electric Muscle Stimulation or Use of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulators (TENS).
How Gold Coast Chiropractic Can Help Your Back Pain
At Gold Coast Chiropractic our goals are get you out of pain and back to living your life. After all, Chicago has so much to offer, you can’t feel cooped up inside! For some our patients the goal is being able to sit comfortably, for some it’s being able to sleep through the night, for others it’s being able to run and workout again. Whatever your back pain is preventing you from doing, we’re here to help. Dr. Fisher truly cares about his patients and their goals, and as part of your initial consultation, you will discuss what your individual goals are.
Other benefits that Gold Coast Chiropractic patients have received from care at our office include:
- Better sleep.
- Fewer headaches.
- Increased flexibility.
- Reduced pain for unrelated issues.
- Decrease in joint pain.
- Reduction in allergy and asthma symptoms.
- Better organ function.
- Fewer ear and other infections.
- Better health during pregnancy.
- Better posture (including improvement of scoliosis).
- Improved reflexes and nerve function.
- Improved coordination
- Improved physical function and performance
- Relief from chronic injuries
- Increased energy
If you are experiencing back pain, not matter how slight or severe, call our office today for your consultation. No amount of pain is normal — it is your body’s response to an internal issue. Chiropractic care from Dr. Fisher will help identify the source of your back pain.
When Choosing a Doctor of Chiropractic
Not all chiropractors are created equally. At Gold Coast Chiropractic, Dr. Fisher aims to provide the best care possible for each patient, tailoring to their individual goals and lifestyle needs, making the city of Chicago healthier one appointment at a time.
Dr. Fisher is truly at the top of his field, and has undergone extensive Post-Graduate training in whiplash injuries, headaches, posture analysis, pregnancy, neck pain, shoulder pain, low back treatment and digital motion x-ray. He is certified in Chiropractic Biophysics, Whiplash Biomechanics and Traumatology and Webster Technique (a technique that focuses on pregnant patients). He has undertaken extensive studies in ligament injuries (the primary cause of chronic spinal pain) and has two studies pending publication. Understanding ligament injuries gives Dr. Fisher a unique insight into how they cause chronic pain and also contribute to dysfunction of the nervous system and the body. He is also a member of Chiropractic Biophysics Non-Profit, Academy of Chiropractic, the Illinois Chiropractic Society, and the International Chiropractic Association.
You can rest assured that at Gold Coast Chiropractic, your receiving the best care possible.
Treat Your Back Pain Today
The best way to correct your back pain is to locate the underlying problem. Contact us today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Fisher. He will identify the source of your pain and create a tailored care plan just for you!
Call today to schedule your COMPLIMENTARY Consultation at 312.988.9655