11 Health Secrets From Your Chiropractor
Chiropractic care is about far more than just back pain relief! At Gold Coast Chiropractic, Dr. Paul Fisher firmly believes that chiropractic is about treating the entire body — mentally and physically. With this in mind, Gold Coast Chiropractic wanted to offer 11 health secrets to our readers. These secrets will not only help enhance your chiropractic care, they will also provide an insider’s point of view into how many chiropractors view certain topics! Read on for 11 health secrets from experts in the chiropractic field.
11 Health Secrets From Your Chiropractor
1. Just because you’re feeling better, doesn’t mean you are better. “When patients feel that they are ‘over the hump’ due to substantially decreased pain or no more pain, they discontinue treatment themselves. This puts them at serious risk of re-injury.” —Robert Silverman.
2. Your back pain may not actually be about your back. “I care far more about your system than your symptoms. Chiropractors are whole-body doctors treating not just the musculoskeletal system but also things like metabolic syndrome or diabetes—without the use of drugs that traditional doctors use. You may come in because of back pain but we’re looking for the sources of your back pain that go beyond just your back.” —Robert Silverman
3. If you do not follow instructions well, the treatment will not be as effective as it could be. “When patients do not follow all my at-home care prescriptions, it hinders my ability to help them. I can adjust you and get your body aligned properly, but if you are not doing the therapeutic exercises I prescribe, or if you are continuing to eat a highly inflammatory diet, you are not going to see the best results. Optimal results occur when the entire program prescribed is followed properly.” —Pamela Abramson-Levine
4. Chiropractic care involves more than just spinal manipulations. “There are many different techniques within the chiropractic profession. Some of them are low force, like Directional Non-Force Technique (DNFT). With this technique, there are no forceful manipulations, so you won’t hear the usual cracking or popping. It’s a very gentle and effective approach to getting the body back into proper alignment.” —Pamela Abramson-Levine
5. Stop popping your neck. Seriously. “Self-adjusting by turning or cranking your own neck to make it ‘pop’ may give temporary relief, but in most cases it is exacerbating a problem. Without proper touch and contact on the stuck joint, you’re likely doing damage to surrounding joints.” —Kris Birkeland, DC
6. It’s time to take your posture seriously. Especially in the day and age of endless screen time. “One of the worst things a patient can do is have bad posture, and a lot of that stems from our bad habit of sitting down all day with smart phones, iPads, and laptops. Maintaining good posture helps keep our bones and joints in correct alignment so that the muscles are used correctly. This helps prevent abnormal wearing of joint surfaces that otherwise result in pain and degenerative arthritis.” —Nathan Leavitt, D.C.
7. If you’re an athlete, or want to be, you need chiropractic. “Chiropractic treatment enhances athletic and personal performance. Athletes like Michael Phelps, Jerry Rice, and Joe Montana are under regular chiropractic care. Chiropractors are used by NFL team to help with the conditioning, functionality, and endurance of professional football players.” —Nathan Leavitt
8. Popping your back yourself is not the same thing as getting a chiropractic adjustment. Leave it to the pros. “You may be able to twist in such a way to feel a ‘pop,’ but this isn’t adjusting anything. Rather, the noise is just air bubbles moving in the joint space. You can even cause damage to your spine and nervous system trying to pop your own back.” —Heather Van Wyhe, DC
9. Newborns can especially benefit from chiropractic adjustments. “Being born is a very natural event but also a very traumatic event in each of our lives. We want babies to be adjusted so that the brain and nervous systems develop to their fullest potential, so that children are never sick and can sleep throughout the entire night. (And mom and dad do as well!). Babies who are adjusted don’t tend to have to deal with high fevers and ear infections.” —Heather Van Wyhe
10. Chiropractic is rooted in science, not magic. “Often I hear people say that they ‘don’t believe’ in chiropractic care, but there is decades of research backing our profession, much done by governments, academics, and even the medical profession. This isn’t something you believe in or not, like magic, it’s rooted in science and can be quite powerful.” —Jeff Williams
11. Pain is the last signal the body gives that something is off. “Too many people wait to seek help until their pain is severe. But pain is the last signal in the body to turn on to let us know that something is not right. Addressing symptoms early on can change the duration of a treatment plan. Patients often want a quick fix, and that is more likely to happen by paying attention to what your body is telling you, and seeking care in a timely fashion.” —Rubina Tahir, DC
Gold Coast Chiropractic Can Help!
Dr. Paul Fisher at Gold Coast Chiropractic can help you with your chiropractic needs. His knowledge of the chiropractic field, continuing education, and love for his patients is what sets him apart from the rest. Dr. Fisher is renowned for his patient care, knowledge, outstanding credentials, and love of chiropractic.
At Gold Coast Chiropractic, each patient is treated as family, not just another number. With individualized patient care and treatment options, you can rest assured that you are in great hands! Contact Gold Coast Chiropractic today by phone at 312.988.9655 to schedule your appointment or consultation with Dr. Fisher. You can also reach us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or access our 24/7 chat services on our website, here.
We look forward to working with you and helping meet all of your chiropractic and wellness needs!