Winter in the Windy City: Activities for the Family
Winter in Chicago is C.O.L.D. However, the magic of Chicago never rests, making our city amazing year round. In true Chicagoan spirit, we decided the fun shouldn’t stop just because temperatures drop well below freezing, so we put together a list of our favorite activities for the family during the cold winter months. Check it out and let us know what you think!
- Museum of Science and Industry – This is the largest museum in the entire Western Hemisphere, and can easily entertain everyone in your family for hours on end. With countless amazing, hands-on exhibits, it truly has something for everyone!
- Willis Tower Skydeck – Open 365 days a year, the skydeck lets you step outside the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere, offering a view that will truly take your breath away. This glass balcony extends 4.3 feet outside of the 103rd floor of the Willis Tower, and lets you have a view not only of Chicago, but of up to four states!
- The Blue Man Group – The Blue Man Group’s show is a spectacular mix of music, comedy, and visual art that family members ages 3+ will enjoy. It is unlike any other show in the world and will have you laughing and dancing at the same time.
- Ice Skating at Millennium Park – Nothing says winter quite like iceskating, and the McCormick Tribune Ice Rink is a great spot! They even offer free skating lessons- check the website for details and times.
- Lincoln Park Zoo – Not only is the Lincoln Park Zoo free, it has amazing exhibits that everyone will love. Whether it’s ice skating, seeing your family animals, playing on the indoor playground, or one of their amazing special events, the LPZ has something for everyone.
- Shedd Aquarium – The Shedd Aquarium is hands down, one of our favorite places in Chicago. With so many amazing exhibits and animals to see, you can spend hours exploring the museum campus and making memories.
- Chinatown Lunar New Year Parade – On Sunday, February 14 at 1pm, The Chinatown Lunar New Year Parade begins, celebrating the Year of the Monkey. The route starts at 24th and Wentworth and features lion and dragon dances, floats, bands, performers, and more! Make a day of it by eating at one of the area’s delicious restaurants and shopping at one of the local shops as well.
What is your favorite winter activity in Chicago? Share it in the comments below!