6 Easy Steps to a Healthier, Happier Gut
Did you know that the health of your gut impacts the health of your body overall? Unfortunately, most people do not notice a problem with their gut until they start experiencing unpleasant symptoms like bloating, abdominal pain, constipation, or diarrhea.
If you’re looking to improve your health and have a healthier, happier gut, check out these 6 easy steps:
1. Treat your diet as medicine. Heather Morgan, MS, NLC said, “Every time you eat or drink, you or either feeding disease or fighting it.” When you take in foods that are high in sugar, you’re creating an insulin spike in your body – with constant high levels of insulin, you’ll experience fatigue, hunger, and high blood pressure.
2. Eat the right kind of fiber. There are two types of fiber: soluble and insoluble. Soluble fiber slows digestion and prevents quick spikes in your blood sugar, while insoluble fiber helps move food through your intestines (preventing constipation). Excellent sources of insoluble fiber are nuts, whole grains, seeds, and rice. Soluble fibers are naturally found in oats, beans, peas, flax, berries, and apples. Aim to get your fiber through whole foods — not the processed junk.
3. Find a way to manage stress. When you’re stressed, every part of your digestive system is negatively impacted, making your colon spasm or increasing the acidity in your stomach, causing indigestion. Find a great workout or activity that you can do at least 3x a week to relieve tension and release endorphins to help improve your mood.
4. Sleep at least 8 hours each night. Multiple studies found a relationship between sleep disorders and GERD, IBS, IBD, and ulcers. Getting the recommended 8 hours of sleep each night will keep your digestive track healthy, your stress levels low, and help you start each day on the right foot.
5. Avoid artificial sweeteners. Artificial sweeteners are linked to digestive issues such as diarrhea because they don’t get digested and so the bacteria in the stomach attempts to break them down and causes issues.
6. Make smart alcohol choices. Excessively drinking alcohol can cause digestive issues such as heartburn, stomach inflammation, and even increase the risk of small intestine cancers and leaky gut. As always, drink responsibly!
If you’re experiencing digestive issues, make your appointment with us today. Chiropractic care can help restore order to your nervous system and aid in getting your body to function as it should!