Chiropractic and Sciatic Nerve Pain
Sciatica is tenderness and pain anywhere along the sciatic nerve, typically manifesting on one side of the body. The sciatic nerves are the longest nerves in the human body, with each originating from several nerve roots that exist the spinal cord and going down through the deep muscles of the back of the thigh, and down the outer edge of your leg to your foot.
Sciatica often flares up when bending over, running, sitting, and during other every day movements. Symptoms include but are not limited to:
- Pain anywhere along the sciatic nerve pathway: the lower back, buttock, back of thigh, and/or calf
- Fatigue, numbness, or loss of feeling in your legs and/or feet
- An electric, tingling, burning, pinching, or pins-and-needles feeling known as paresthesia
- Weakness that can cause your knees to buckle when you stand up from sitting
- Foot drop: a condition in which you are not able to flex your ankles enough to walk on your heels
- Reduced reflexes in your Achilles tendon and knee
The root of sciatic nerve pain can often be traced to subluxations in the spine. When subluxations occur, the spine becomes misaligned, creating pain, discomfort, headaches, allergies, and a variety of other health issues. Your chiropractor can examine your spine, identify these subluxations, correct the subluxations, and treat your sciatic nerve pain at its source. Removing the subluxations from your spine will not only provide pain relief, but also help your body function more efficiently.
Call our office today for your consultation, and let’s make sciatic nerve pain a thing of your past!